Monday, July 9, 2012

A birthday unlike any other.

I can't believe it's that time of year again -- my annual birthday update! I wasn't sure where to start with this one, because this year has gone by so quickly, I'm having trouble accepting that tomorrow marks the start of my 26th year. Kimmer assures me I'm still in my mid-20s until I'm 28, which makes me feel a little better, but for the first time, I might actually feel old.

What's even more strange, though, is how this birthday feels compared to birthdays past. Every year, I feel like my birthday is full of expectations -- not so much for the day of (because my birthdays are always fabulous), but for the year ahead. More so than New Year's, my birthday is my fresh start and my clean slate.

This year is different. 

For the first time, I don't need/want a fresh start or a clean slate. For the first time, I'm not sure that this year will be entirely different from the last, or that I'll be any different (well, I should say significantly different) when I update next year. And believe it or not, I'm completely comfortable with this.

When I turned 23, I had an amazing celebratory weekend with my family and our oldest and dearest friends, the Crafts/Hobans. I was new to Chicago at that point, and my 23rd year felt ripe with possibilities and opportunities. I was sure I'd land a full-time job after my WGN internship, and that by my 24th year, I'd be completely settled in my city life.

Then real life happened. The year came and went, and with it, so did my hopes for making Chicago my permanent home. I turned 24 back where I had started -- on Chippewa Lake. I actually didn't even post an update on my 24th birthday, because what was there to say? I hated my job. I was living in seclusion at the lake. I missed Chicago terribly. The year wasn't off to a great start.

Within a few weeks, though, things turned around. A couple of job interviews came up -- one for my dream job, and one for a complete career shift in a city I'd never been to -- Cincinnati. We all know which I chose :)

That year turned out to be incredibly challenging -- and fulfilling -- which I talk about in my 25th birthday update. I anticipated that 25 would be a good year for me, and it was. Self-fulfilling prophecy, perhaps? Whether it was me who made it good for myself, or the universe deciding to give me a break, I'm not sure -- but it's been a good ride.

As most of you may know, I spend a lot of time thinking about my birthday in the weeks (ok, months) leading up to it. Generally, I think about where I thought I'd be (married, babies), and where I'd like to be. This year, I haven't done much thinking about where I thought I'd be (I guess I never pondered life after marriage and babies). But when I think about where I want to be next year, all I can think is: here.

Unlike every birthday from the time I was old enough to recognize the perks of being older (riding without training wheels, getting my ears pierced, driver's training, college, etc.), this year the perk isn't really something tangible. Instead, the perk for turning 26 is that I get to keep living the fabulous life that is unfolding here in Cincinnati.

I guess that makes me a very lucky girl. Lucky x26, perhaps?



No comments:

Post a Comment