Monday, July 13, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!

This weekend was one of the best I have had in Chicago so far! First, it was my birthday, which you all know is my favorite day of the whole year. The celebrating started Thursday when my very first friend, Allie, and I got manicures and pedicures at CiCi’s on Lincoln.

CiCi’s is BYOB, so with a bottle of champagne in tow, we headed to the salon. The service was quick and friendly, and the calf and foot massage was worth the price. Allie opted for just a pedi, which is $27, I went with the combo for a mere $10 more. They don’t give you the fun little foam flip-flops there, but after getting all OPI’ed and a little buzzed up, it didn’t really matter.

After pampering ourselves, we headed to Frasca’s for dinner. I’ve been there before for their $10 bottomless mimosas at brunch, but hadn’t been for dinner. Allie and I split the Wrightwood salad and a margherita pizza, paired with their marinated asparagus and sangria.The food was great, and since the service was a little slow, the asparagus was comped by a manager.

We topped of the night with a few Oberons and a chocolate cupcake…it was the perfect start to a great weekend!

On Saturday, my parents came into town with the Crafts, and together we went to the river for the Chicago Architecture Foundation tour. The tour was 90 minutes long, with a great docent guiding us through the city skyline and describing in detail the histories of buildings, their designers and their styles. Obviously, I loved learning about Tribune Tower, but I think the art deco-styled buildings were my favorite. I also thought it was interesting when she described the different schools of thought subscribed to by architects. I guess I never realized how much thought and insight goes into the building, its surroundings and how it will impact the world around it.

We wandered around an art fair downtown after the tour, then hit the Miracle Mile for a little shopping. But the real highlight of the day was dinner at Mia Francesca. The little restaurant just off the Brown Line Belmont stop. The place was packed, but it looked and smelled like a little Tuscan restaurant when the whole town turns out for a party.

The meal started with wine for the table and loaves of bread smothered in oil, cheese and spices. The wait for our party of nine wasn’t bad when it came to getting dinner…and between the group, we sampled most of the menu. Typically, I prefer roma tomatoes for my caprese salad, but the massive tomatoes we were served were really sweet and mild. As far as I know, the Caesar salad also was good. The entrees, though, were incredible all the way around. I had rigatoni alla butera, and it goes down as the best pasta dish I have ever had. Slices of sausage, rigatoni, peas and a creamy tomato sauce were perfect for a warm summer night, and gave me exactly the meal I wanted on my birthday. I didn’t taste everyone’s entrees, but since Paul was seated right next to me, I swiped a bite of his gnocchi…which was absolutely amazing. It was stuffed with mushrooms and mascarpone cheese, then drizzled in a cream sauce. Both the sauce and the dumplings were the perfect texture and consistency.

Needless to say, I cannot wait to go back to Mia Francesca soon.

Sunday morning’s breakfast was far from Italian. Our group headed to Wishbone on Lincoln and School, a Southern comfort and Creole-influenced restaurant. The menu had breakfast staples, as well as new twists on those old classics. I chose the jambalaya omelet, paired with potatoes and cornbread. I was torn between that and the sweet red pepper benedict, which I definitely will choose the next time I visit Wishbone. The omelet was really good and offered a flavor combination I had never experienced before. The fresh-squeezed orange juice and strong coffee were nice compliments, and I enjoyed every sip and bite. I should also mention the super-creamy cheese grits that Mom ordered, and from which I swiped a few bites.

All in all, the weekend was a really great one filled with amazing bites of Chicago, phenomenal food and fabulous friends. I could not have asked for a better way to ring in my 23rd year.Here’s hoping it just keeps getting better.




1 comment: