Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Steel-toed Boots or Hurdles? It's Up to Me.

About a month ago, I was gazing longingly at the month of June -- just a calendar page in a year that's racing by so quickly, I can barely keep up. From Memorial Day Weekend forward, my life was going to be a jumble of old friends and celebrations, and I couldn't wait for all the excitement to begin.

What I hadn't accounted for were those pesky days in between the weekends -- you know, the ones filled with work and moving (yes, again).

But with undoubtedly one of the most stressful weeks of all time behind me, I woke up this morning with an overwhelming sense of happiness. I'm in my new apartment, even if I'm not completely unpacked, and it seems like my cell is vibrating with fabulous news every day. From engagements to babies (more BOYS!!!) to weddings to new jobs -- the lives of the people I love most look amazing right now. Mine does, too, actually.

After a couple of very stressful years, I've become accustomed to the other shoe dropping, so to speak. And until last week, I had been holding my breath -- expecting a steel-toed boot to come stomping down on me. And just like all self-fulfilling prophecies, it did. Within days, a couple of unexpected phone calls and emails threw me into a tailspin, a killer hangover ruined an entire Saturday, and a change up at work had me scrambling to get my footing. Thank you, Universe.

Now, a few days removed, I realize what I felt wasn't the steel-toed boot -- well, it might have been, but instead of crushing me, it just tripped me. I stumbled, but I kept running. I barrelled through the crazy work week, I accepted and let go of one ridiculous phone call, and embraced a new direction that came from a second. It feels amazing.

Of everything I'm learning about myself these days, this might be the most significant lesson I've had in a while -- the boot only stomps if I let it. I also think that's the difference between someone who seems to have all the luck and someone who doesn't. We all have boots ready to stomp or trip us up, but it's not the Universe or the boot that decides which it will be. It's each of us that gets to choose whether a setback will be a debilitating blow, or if it will just be a hurdle to crawl under, leap over or run through.

From now on, I'm choosing hurdles.

No comments:

Post a Comment