Saturday, November 20, 2010

Long overdue.

Even though it's been a while since I've updated, things have been anything but boring here in the Queen City.

The day after my last post, I was forced to start looking for a new apartment due to a Peeping Tom situation at my first Cincinnati abode. To say the least, it was the most overwhelming and terrifying situation I've ever been in, but due to a lot of good luck, and a great support system, I was able to move out quickly and get settled in my new place.

Now, I'm a little further north of the city, in a sleepy little community called Norwood. Lots of great dive bars and a few nice parks make it a nice place to be. I'm also only a few blocks away from the express way, making downtown and most of the best Cincinnati neighborhoods well within reach.

A few really great things have come out of my move from East Walnut Hills (Bulluck Terrace, to be exact. Single ladies, steer clear) to Norwood. First, I've actually been sleeping again, meaning I'm enjoying everything about life more, and I have a lot more energy to do fun things. Second, I'm not eating out every day and making sure I get home while it's still light, leaving me money and -- again -- time to explore this incredible city.

Here's what I've found:

Newport, Kentucky, right across the river from Cincinnati, used to be the gambling, prostitution, nightlife hot spot before Las Vegas. Since Newport is only about a six-hour train ride from all the major urban hubs of the early 20th century (New York, Chicago, Detroit, Atlantic City), it was the place to getaway and have a little fun.

The gentlemen of the Newport Gangster Tour have put together an homage to that era of Newport's history with a walking tour of all the sauciest spots in the city. Starting at the Gangster's Dueling Piano Bar, you'll feel like you've stepped back in time as you get one of the most entertaining history lessons you'll every receive. It's difficult to imagine the picturesque little town being used for anything but sock hops and lemonade stands now, but it wasn't long ago that bootlegged liquor ran as fast as the Ohio, and billions (yes, billions) of dollars were being spent annually to commit all of the seven deadly sins.

Cross the river, add some class and fast forward 100 years, and you have the Plum Court Wine Room, an unsuspecting piece of corner real estate in downtown. I say unsuspecting because the facade looks like that of an insurance agency, but cross the threshold, and you're in a cozy little nook full of Cupcake wine and delicious gourmet appetizers.

The Plum Court Wine Room is only open for tastings one day each week. The rest of the week, though, the venue can be rented out for private parties. Here are the up sides: there's a really cute sommelier pouring taste after taste of yummy vino, and talking about full, creamy finishes -- if you're into that kind of thing -- as well as a really nice selections of wines and a knowledgeable staff ready to educate guests about what they're drinking. It's also really reasonably priced. For $7, I tasted five wines, and could have bought any of those bottles for $9.99. Not bad.

I also checked out the Shadowbox Theater over in Newport for a night of comedy and rocking music. Initially, I thought the show was going to be similar to Second City in Chicago, however, the skits are scripted, dinner is served and there is no drink limit.

The food and service were great. Considering the servers were the actors, band members and crew, I wasn't expecting much. But they compensate for an over-worked staff with a simple, short menu of great food, taking a bit of the edge off.

However, what impressed me most about the Shadowbox, an artist-owned theater, was the music. Seriously, it rocked! All the members of the band had roles in the skits, sometimes back-to-back. But every singer blew me, and the rest of the audience, away with powerhouse vocals, backed up by a truly-talented band. They sang everything from the Eagles to Ozzy, never breaking character and really putting on a stellar performance.

As a matter of fact, the comedy paled in comparison to the musical facets of the show, but I would pay the $30 ticket price again to hear more of the band. The only downside is it was a very expensive night. I bought $10 in raffle tickets, but before that, my food and beer were about $50. Beers were cheap, though, so most of that cost was food.

Another expensive -- but worth it -- dinner is at Beluga in Hyde Park. When Ally came to Cinci for a visit last weekend, we decided to give it a try, and were both pleasantly surprised with the menu options and quality of sushi served.

Beluga's atmosphere is kind of nightclub-ish. Actually, for any fellow Boystown lovers reading this, it feels like Mini Bar, only minus the loud music and dancing. Ally and I got there early, which was a good choice. By the time we left, it was getting really full and really loud, which would probably not make for a relaxing or romantic dinner.

I gave yellow tail a try for the first time at Beluga, and loved it. The roll tasted totally tropical, featuring mangos, jalepenos and an amazing citrusy, honey sauce. All of the sushi was incredibly fresh, and made within a few minutes of our order being placed. It was well worth the price, and will probably be a place I take to impress all future visitors.

During the daylight hours, I'm working on becoming a Hamilton County Parks connoisseur. With my new friend, Jess, I've discovered California Woods and Sharon Woods, both just outside of Cincinnati. They are both absolutely gorgeous examples of Midwestern natural beauty, featuring dense deciduous forests, hills and creeks. I even bought a year-long pass to the parks over the weekend, a mere $10 for access to parking at 21 parks. Incredible! Jess and I have hiked most of the trails at both places, getting a really great workout every time.

Sharon Woods, in particular, is breathtakingly beautiful. The area the park is set in was carved by glaciers during the last ice age, leaving spectacular rock formations and a now mostly-dry riverbed surrounded by forest. There are dirt trails, as well as paved ones, and ponds perfect for canoeing or kayaking in the summertime. It's also dog friendly...

Why is that important? Well, friends, I'm a dog owner! Last Saturday, I adopted Kenny from the League for Animal Welfare in Batavia, Ohio. We're happily settling in to a new routine and learning about one another. It's exciting and a whole new experience for an experienced dog owner like me. This is the first time I don't have my family in on this adventure, but I think I'm doing alright so far.

Kenny is a great dog with an amazing disposition. It breaks my heart to think he spent the whole first year of his life in a shelter, but I'm making up for that now. If you're in the area and looking to adopt, I highly recommend LFAW. Kenny was so well cared for, as are the other animals who call the shelter home. The facility is immaculate, and doesn't smell like animal waste the way most shelters do. The animals are clean, their nails are trimmed and they all have outdoor access. It's an amazing place and the adoption fee is nominal compared to other shelters I looked at. For $95, I got to bring Kenny home and make him a part of my little family. I couldn't be happier.

So, that's the update from here! It's been a crazy couple of months, full of the good, the bad and the ugly. But I made it, and I have a new buddy by my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment